Since opening its doors in 1912, The Adolphus has served as an icon of Dallas and an integral part of the City’s history and culture. Situated on the original site of City Hall, the hotel was modeled after a beaux arts German castle. In its recent restoration and renovation, the hotel’s storied past is both celebrated and reimagined. There is a sense of discovery at every turn.
The Director of Engineering is responsible for leading the hotel maintenance operations and hotel assets to maintain top quality of standards. Supervises the implementation of all property and the physical preventive maintenance and repairs of the hotel interior, exterior, FF&E, grounds, swimming pool and preventative maintenance program as defined by hotel’s brand standards. Administers department in compliance with all corporate/franchise standards and local, state and national codes and regulations to protect assets, guests and team members. This position will oversee the engineering department within the hotel.
We seek to hire the best. Leaders of high character and humility with genuine passion and aptitude for hospitality. People who choose to be in hospitality because they have an open and generous nature and seek to make guests happy. We are a group of people who are proud of the work we do. Caring leaders, perfectionist chefs, intelligent creatives, generous hosts, meticulous operators, inspiring teachers, tireless doers, and all-around devotees of hospitality. We create value by empowering the team. We encourage our teams to stretch their thinking, move beyond their comfort zone and achieve their full potential. By providing a platform of support service, like the best in technology, finance resources, talent development, marketing and communication support, we allow them to focus on the heart of their business – hospitality and people. We are passionate about people and attract, develop and retain the best in hospitality. We thoughtfully seek out and groom talent, both within our company and outside, by promoting from within, developing a culture of growth and learning and partnering with the local community.
At Makeready http://makereadyexperience.com/ we create independent hotel, restaurant and retail brands. Each of our brands has a distinct point of view but they all share a common purpose: to inspire deeper connections with the world around them – city by city, person by person. Every Makeready experience embraces local culture, honors past and present, and invites curious guests to delve into the detail of their surroundings.
REPORTS TO: GM of Operations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides professional and courteous guest service at all times.
- Leads in maintenance operations for the facility to include but not limited to: refrigeration, heating, plumbing, water softeners and treatment, A/C units, ice machines, swimming pools/spa, lighting, kitchen equipment, emergency equipment/systems, switch rooms, roof exhausts, electrical substations, painting, wall covering repairs, etc.
- Interview, hire, train, recommend performance evaluations, resolve problems, provide open communication and recommend discipline and/or termination when appropriate.
- Ensures all projects are completed according to specifications and on time.
- Assist in the development and implementation of annual Capital Plan.
- Works closely with the accounting department. Manages the budget of the department; provides critiques or variances/overages, manages labor/over time and accrues any line not used month to month on the P&L.
- Administrative tasks may include the facilitation of payroll, reports, forecasts, point of sale procedures, inventory and budget for engineering functions.
- Manages the payroll function according to the law in an expedient manner.
- Creates recognition programs amongst the team and ensure that each team member feels valued in the department; proposes development programs and objectives for the team
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge of guest room electronic locks.
- Aids and instructs craftsmen scheduling work, materials, and project completion.
- Maintains preventive maintenance program for guestrooms, public space and all equipment.
- Ensures cleanliness and orderliness of workspace, grounds and storage areas.
- Displays a professional sense of urgency when communicating and interacting with customers, coworkers, and the public in a way that exceeds the customer’s wants and needs.
- Identifies opportunities to improve and deliver additional value to customer’s experience by presenting creative solutions and innovative ideas.
- Actively listens to customers, coworkers, and the public (viewing the situation from the customer’s perspective) and works together to solve the problem through effective communication.
- Ability to recognize and define problems; analyze relevant information; encourage alternative solutions and plans to resolve situations; seeks additional assistance when needed.
- Work “product or service” is free of errors and exceeds customer expectations.
- Communicate with hotel department heads to become aware of maintenance needs and ensure timely response to internal requests.
- Coordinate compliance of service contracts.
- Actively participate in Safety Plan and emergency improvements.
- Perform any other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Education & Experience:
- Experience -three years engineering leadership experience or training within a hotel.
- Strong working knowledge of hotel operations, security and safety programs, personnel and labor relations, repairs, maintenance, budget forecasting, quality assurance programs.
- Must have developed language skills to the point to be able to: ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and technical procedures. Ability to effectively respond to questions from management, customers and clients.
- Requires mathematical development sufficient to be able to: calculate figures, discounts, area, and circumference. Compute ratio, proportion, and percentages. Calculate surface, volumes, weight and measures. Possesses sharp ability for attention to detail (able to quickly identify variances in standards), working efficiently and flexibly. Ability to multi-task and be highly organized while working under pressure.
- Must have developed reasoning skills to be able to: apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to handle problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Leadership skills to motivate and develop staff and to ensure accomplishment of goals. Able to set priorities, plan, organize, delegate and follow up.
- Must be able to push, pull and lift 50 lbs
- Available to work weekends, evenings and/or holidays
- Must be able to walk, stand for prolonged periods as needed
- High school or equivalent. Bachelors degree preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.